Image Map

Homemade Meal Monday (#1)!

August 17, 2009

How many of us wish we were better planners, shoppers, and/or cooks? I personally would answer 'yes' to all of the above. With that said, I'm going to try something new around her on Mondays, hence 'Homemade Meal Monday'.

I'll start by being honest and let my disclaimer be known, as I'm not a super-duper cook, nor do I cook every night of the week (I'm positive Mr. Made With Love is chuckling right about now), however I have found and tried some great recipes that I would love to share with you!


I'll start with one of the easiest (and one of my favorites)...Chicken Tortilla Soup via the Crock-Pot (which was introduced to me by my sister- thank you)!

Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I prefer to use 8 boneless, skinless chicken tenders)
1 4-oz can chopped green chilies, drained (hot or mild, depending on preference)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 15-oz cans of diced tomatoes, including juice
½ to 1 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon cumin
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 lime
4 corn tortillas, sliced into ¼-inch strips
½ cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
1 avocado, diced and tossed with lime juice to prevent browning

Directions:
  1. Place chicken in Crock-Pot® slow cooker.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine chilies, garlic, onion, tomatoes, ½ c chicken broth and cumin. Blend and pour over chicken.
  3. Cook on high for 3 hours. When chicken is tender, use the tines of 2 forks to shred. Adjust seasoning and add additional chicken broth if necessary.
  4. Just before serving, add tortillas and cilantro to slow cooker. Stir to incorporate. Adjust seasoning to taste.
  5. Serve in soup bowls, topping each with shredded cheese, diced avocado and a squeeze of lime.
If you decide to take the plunge and make the Soup, please let me know how your family takes to it! Enjoy! :)

1 comment:

I LOVE your comments, and read them all! Thank you! :)