Image Map

Tennessee's On My Mind

April 15, 2010


Mr. D is in Tennessee this week visiting his Dad and step-mom, with a quick trip to Atlanta to visit his sisters and nieces. Being home alone I've had some extra free time and wanted to share some photos with you from our (Mr. D and I) last trip to Tennessee last April.


Most of you know that I work in an architecture office by day and blog/sew/craft at night (my favorite part of the day!). With my architecture background, my father-in-law thought that I'd greatly appreciate the efforts of the designer and builder of the world's tallest treehouse, built from recycled wood.

Horace Burgess is the man and minister behind the treehouse. It rises a whopping 97 feet into the sky, the support provided by a live, 80-foot-tall oak tree, which measures 12 feet in diameter at its base. The treehouse consists of 10 floors which includes a sanctuary (which doubles as a basketball court), contains +/- 258,000 nails, and is estimated to be between 8,000 to 10,000 square feet.

The treehouse, located in Crossville, Tennessee, attracts approximately 400 - 500 visits weekly. Visitors are free to roam around the treehouse, as Mr. D and I did. Still to this day I remember how scared to death I was as the treehouse clearly does not meet all of the building code requirements!!!



The second half of this music video is shot at/within the treehouse. If you like the song listen to the whole thing, but if you just want to see some of the treehouse details and/or scale, the treehouse debuts at about 1 minute and 52 seconds into the music video. Music video by Kate & Kacey performing Dreaming Love. (C) 2009 Big Machine Records, LLC

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments, and read them all! Thank you! :)